Can you make a living out of Photography?

Written by David Chong on 28 April 2018

CAN YOUR DREAM BE A REALITY?

Do you have the desire and the passion to be a Photographer and get paid for what you love doing? Each of us only have one life here on earth.. Are you really happy settling for something that you are not genuinely passionate about for work? Ever wondered why others can do it while you can’t?... or.. Can you really do it too? Is there another way…?


Of course you can.. The only question is how hard is it going to be? How, where and when are you going to start? The truth being said.. Many ‘wannabe’ photographers fail because of the many challenges that cluelessness they posses about the industry, it can be a hard road for many as it is a profession that is so well sought after. In the 1st year, 60% of photographers give up their business. Of that remaining 40%, another 25% will fail within the 2nd year. The ones that make it are the remaining 15% who endure through the 3rd year.That’s a staggering 85% turnover rate. 

The fact is that having the talent and all the knowledge is not 100% going keep you in the business, it is no wonder why an extremely low percentage of photography student from colleges/universities would actually make it in the real world of photography, and even if they do their chances of surviving the 2nd and 3rd year are as stated above. 

A few KEY reasons why colleges, vocational schools and universities consistently fail in placing photography students actual in photographer’s jobs despite its high tuition fees and lengthy course duration (up to 3 to 4 years) is because:

 

The photography courses are designed to attract as many students as possible, therefore it needs to cover as much ground as possible, which basically means they try to jam in all the most popular subjects with the hope to interests every sort of photography students. And because of that everyone has to learn things they may never need to use.

Cramming all these unnecessary subjects increase the length of ‘education period’ which basically waste time, energy and effort.

The word Mass production sums the next point, when any organisation try to mass produce something , it rarely turn out ‘special’, all the students that they churn out every year whom all have the same knowledge they were taught are competing against each other with a limited amount of employers in the market.

Business and entrepreneurial skills are rarely taught, because they try to fit in all the attractive photography subjects to attract as many photography student as possible they don’t have more practical courses that are essential for survival of a photographer.

No mentoring, the fact that the classes contain many students, one on one attention, follow ups and personal mentoring is not possible.

No customisation, what you get is the total opposite a generalised course, you make it or you don’t, take it or leave it, the lack of customise education can disable some of the most capable potentials.

 

Is there a better option?

The Good news is YES there is! Perth Photography is an established photography company run by David Chong who has been a professional photographer for over 15 years and currently we are offering a limited amount of FAST TRACK fully customised coaching, one on one training and mentoring course to get genuinely passionate students who wants to start working as a Photographers in the industry as early as 8 weeks. 

The short period of time can be achieved by strategic coaching and intensive training that is fully customised to your strengths, interests and abilities. One on one personalised guidance, mentoring and directions from an experienced real working professional photographer, so instead of trying to figure out how to get to your goal, you are shown the direct way to get there.

The customised course is not only efficient and effective but it is also designed to be as seamless as possible from the transition between a student and a working photographer. Part of the training students gets hands on training on actual photography jobs, which will naturally increase their confidence and knowledge of base of the work they are about the enter. 

Want to know if you are eligible? Fill in the following application form to see if we could help you achieve your dream...

Click to fill in application

DAVID CHONG